Morven Museum and Garden
Princeton, New Jersey
Richard Stockton (1730-1781), one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, built Morven in the 1750s on land granted to his grandfather by William Penn in 1701. A National Historic Landmark, the property has played a role in the history of New Jersey and the nation for more than 250 years. Morven served as the New Jersey Governor's Mansion from 1945 to 1981. After this function ceased in 1982, Morven went through an extensive restoration and archaeological investigation and reopened as a museum and garden in 2004.
BCA was engaged to assist with the planning process for the construction of a new visitor's center on the property. BCA surveyed existing conditions at the proposed site and prepared drawings that illustrated potential disturbances that could occur during new construction. We then prepared conceptual Design Guidelines for appropriate new construction at the site. These guidelines were used to create massing studies for the new building. BCA presented to and consulted with the New Jersey Historic Sites Council and New Jersey Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) and earned approval by the New Jersey SHPO.
Related services: Conditions Surveys, Landmarks, Research, Restoration Design