St. Paul’s School is a private boarding school founded in 1856 for students in 7th-12th grade. BCA consulted on nine buildings on campus:
Old Chapel and Chapel of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
The Old Chapel was built in 1858 in the Gothic style. The Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul, built in 1888, also known as the New Chapel, is one of several buildings on campus designed by architect Henry Vaughn, and built in the collegiate Gothic style.
The buildings that comprise the Central Heating Plant Complex were designed by architects Day & Klauder of Philadelphia and built in 1927. Its design, while utilitarian, reflects the Gothic style like many of the other late 19th century buildings on St. Paul’s campus.
COIT: The New Upper School
This Jacobean and Gothic building was the last of four designed by Henry Vaughn for St. Paul’s School. Built in 1904, the design was later considered quite influential in the design of future east coast collegiate buildings by housing dormitory and dining facilities together.
The Schoolhouse was designed by James Rogers Gamble, also built in the Gothic Revival style in 1937, and is one of the principal gathering places on campus.
The Post Office, or “Gas House” as was its original use was built in 1880, is an unusual, circular brick building with a conical roof. It has been in use as the School’s post office since 1966, but prior to had also been used for frozen food storage and a meeting house for men and boys.