Designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1850, the Octagon is the only surviving piece of the New York Pauper Lunatic Asylum. After a series of disastrous fires and years of neglect, the Octagon was left a ruin for over 20 years. In 1992, BCA developed a detailed plan for the stabilization and protection of this National Register Landmark. In 2002, BCA was again involved with the Octagon, this time as the restoration consultant for the proposed redevelopment of the site for mixed-income housing. During the 1992 stabilization effort, many items were salvaged from the interior, tagged, and stored in a trailer at the site. Over 100 artifacts were salvaged and stored, and more than ten years later were restored and reused in the building at their original locations.