Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Brass

Ed Sullivan Theater

Ed Sullivan Theater Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1927Original Architect: Herbert J. Krapp BCA was the restoration consultant for the 1993 restoration of the interior. The Ed Sullivan Theatre, located in Midtown Manhattan's Theater District, is famous for hosting the The Ed Sullivan show and several CBS Late Night shows such as "Late Night with David Letterman" and the current "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert". The building, Originally known as the Hammerstien Theatre was built from 1926-1927 in the Neo-Gothic Style by Herbert J. Krapp is listed on the National Register of...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

New Haven Superior Courthouse

New Haven Superior Courthouse Location: New Haven, Connecticut Year Built: 1909-1914 Original architects: Allen & Williams  The New Haven Superior Courthouse was built from 1909 t0 1914 and designed by Allen and Williams. This three-story, Beaux Arts style building is made mostly of Vermont Marble and is a classic example of the City Beautiful Movement with soaring ionic porticos and mahogany and brass finishes. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2003. BCA was the prime historic preservation consultant for the Historical Restoration Study of the Courthouse....

St. Patrick's Cathedral

St. Patrick's Cathedral Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1879Original Architect: James Renwick Jr. Designed by James Renwick, St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the preeminent Catholic church in New York. BCA has been the restoration consultant for St. Patrick’s Cathedral for a decade. The site includes four structures: the Cathedral, Lady Chapel, Rectory, and Parish House. BCA’s efforts on the project started 10 years ago in the pre-design phase. BCA identified immediate interventions for emergency stabilization and routine maintenance; followed by a comprehensive conditions survey, and...

The Prasada

The Prasada Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1904-1907Original Architect: Charles W. Romeyn The Prasada was one of the first luxury apartment buildings in New York City and is now a contributing resource to the Upper West Side/ Central Park West Historic District. Constructed in 1907, the building was designed by Charles W. Romeyn and Henry R. Wynne for owners Franklin and Samuel B. Raines. BCA was retained by the Co-Op Board to rehabilitate their historic lobby space. The defining feature of the lobby is the barrel-vaulted stained-glass laylight over the central space of the lobby....