Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Conditions Surveys

Religious Liberty Statue

Religious Liberty Statue Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Installed: 1876Original Artist: Moses Ezekiel The Religious Liberty Statue conservation marks BCA’s first project, and the details of the treatment are noteworthy for the field of outdoor art conservation. S.A.T, Inc., and BCA (in consultation with Dr. George Wheeler) were commissioned by B’nai B’rith to move the statue to the National Museum of American Jewish History, near the Liberty Bell, and to conserve/restore it. The statue was originally installed in 1876, during America’s Industrial Revolution and the calcareous...

University of Pennsylvania, Music and Morgan Building

University of Pennsylvania, Music and Morgan Building Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1890Original Architect: Cope & Stewardson The University of Pennsylvania Music Building, constructed in 1890, was designed by Cope & Stewardson and features brick, terra cotta, and sandstone. The building underwent a renovation project that included a comprehensive exterior restoration and a distinctively contemporary addition. Masonry restoration included cleaning, re-pointing, patching, and selective replacement of brick and terra cotta units. As the primary restoration consultants...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

D.C. Courts

D.C. Courts Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1820-1849 Original Architect: George Hadfield  BCA has served as the restoration consultant for the DC District Court system since 2005 and in that time has overseen the exterior restoration and repair of five historic courthouses. The limestone buildings date from the 1930s to the 1970s and include the original Washington, DC City Hall, now the DC Court of Appeals, which is a National Historic Landmark. BCA’s role at the five buildings has consisted of existing conditions assessments, laboratory and field testing, construction documents,...

Trinity Church

Trinity Church Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1846Original Architect: Richard Upjohn Trinity Church, located at the west end of Wall Street in Manhattan, is one of the seminal works of historic architecture in the United States and was designed in multiple phases under various architects. The Main Church was designed by Richard Upjohn and constructed in 1846. BCA is the restoration consultant for the entire church. BCA oversaw the conservation treatments of the spire and designed all the conservation treatments of the façade, which is brownstone sourced primarily from Little Falls,...

Park Avenue Armory

Park Avenue Armory Location: New York, New York Original Architect: Charles Clinton Year Built: 1880 BCA was part of the project team developing a preservation approach for the adaptive reuse of Park Avenue Armory, historically known as the Seventh Regiment Armory. Built as both a military facility and a social club, the reception rooms on the first floor and the company rooms on the second floor were designed by the most prominent designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus. As the historic preservation consultant...

Nichols House Museum

Nichols House Museum Location: Boston, Massachusetts Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch Year Built: 1804 The Nichols House, located on 55 Mount Vernon Street, is a Federal style row house built by Jonathan Mason in 1805. Its design is attributed to Charles Bulfinch. Arthur Nichols purchased the house in 1885, and his eldest daughter Rose Nichols left the house to be a museum upon her death in 1960. Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building in the Beacon Hill Historic District. The House is shown with the furnishings of the Nichols family and...

30th Street Station

30th Street Station Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1929-1933Original Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst & White Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst, and White, successor to D.H. Burnham & Company, and was constructed by the Pennsylvania Railroad between 1927 and 1933. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, 30th Street Station is notable for its streamlined Neoclassical design and Art Deco interior. BCA provided a range of historic preservation services to help guide the making...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

Barnstable Superior Courthouse

Barnstable Superior Courthouse Location: Barnstable, Massachusetts Year Built: 1831 Original Architect: Isaiah Rogers  Barnstable Superior Courthouse is an important historic courthouse on a rise in a prominent location in Barnstable Village. The original building was constructed in 1831-32 in the Greek Revival style. The current building incorporates five subsequent additions. The building is historically significant due to its integrity of location, design, setting, materials and workmanship. The building is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a contributing...

Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building

Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: John Lyman Faxon  The Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building integrates three historic buildings into the new transportation center and city office complex. The Ferdinand Building, built in 1895 and designed by John Lyman Faxon, is a triangular, five story, Baroque Revival building, constructed of limestone, terra cotta, decorative multicolored brick, marble and granite. The Curtis Building, built in 1888, is a brick building with brownstone trim, while the Waterman Building, built in 1890,...

Century Club

Century Club Location: New York, NYOriginal Architect: Stanford WhiteYear Built: 1889 The Century Association, located in Midtown Manhattan, was designed by Stanford White with the assistance of Joseph Wells and was built in 1891. The building serves as a clubhouse and meeting point for members of the Century Association, which includes New York’s most prominent families and several world-renowned artists. The building’s delicate façade is reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance consisting of a rusticated base, a central balcony, pilasters, and many other Italian-style flourishes. The Clubhouse...

Orchard Beach Bath House

Orchard Beach Bath House Location: Bronx, New YorkYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Aymar Embury BCA is the historic preservation and materials conservation consultant for the repair and restoration of the Orchard Beach Pavilion at Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, NY. Part of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Orchard Beach was proclaimed “The Riviera of New York” when it was created in the 1930s. The monumental red brick, concrete, and glazed terra cotta Pavilion was designed by Aymar Embury in the Moderne style according to Beaux-Arts planning principles....

Hingham Historical Society

Hingham Historical Society Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1686 The Hingham Historical Society, started in 1914, works to preserve and document the history of Hingham, Massachusetts. BCA has worked on Historic Structure Reports for two historic buildings owned and operated by the Hingham Historical Society, Old Derby and Old Ordinary. Old Derby was built in 1818 as the school building for Derby Academy. It is a three-story, wood frame, Federal style building. BCA completed an Historic Structure Report for Old Derby documenting the architectural history of the building, its...

Hamilton Grange

Hamilton Grange Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: John McComb Jr.Year Built: 1802 Hamilton Grange is believed to be the only home owned by Alexander Hamilton, one of the United States’ founding fathers. Hamilton built this Federal style country house in 1801-02. Hamilton Grange was moved in 2008, to a site one block away within St. Nicholas Park. After the move was completed, the restoration of the exterior and interior began. This project focused on completing the interior and exterior architectural restoration and rehabilitation, including building and site improvements and...

Wicks House

Wicks House Location: Falmouth, Maine Year Built: 1790 The Dr. Francis Wicks House is a two-story residence constructed circa 1790. The Falmouth Historical Society was gifted the house in 1932 and through research and renovations uses the house to help interpret the history of Falmouth and its people. BCA completed an Historic Structure Report that included documenting the architectural history of the building through available archival research, analysis of existing building conditions, paint analysis, treatment recommendations, a prioritization timeline for anticipated work, and projection...

Contee Farm Complex

Contee Farm Complex Location: Edgewater, Maryland The campus of the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Maryland, contains thousands of acres of protected land along the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The Smithsonian Institution (SI) retained BCA to perform a study of select historic assets on the campus. These assets, the Contee Farm Complex and the Sellman Tenant House, are monuments to the site’s long history of agriculture, and they stand in a landscape from which the visible legacy of hundreds of years of farming is slowly disappearing. The two sites date...

Baruch College

Baruch College Baruch College is one of the senior colleges in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, it was the first institution to offer free higher education to the public in the United States. BCA served as historic preservation consultant on a variety of projects over twenty years. Newman Library The Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College in the early 1990s. BCA was responsible for the entire restoration of the brick and terra cotta façade of this Italian Renaissance-style building. Vertical...

Calgary City Hall

Calgary City Hall Location: Calgary, Alberta Year Built: 1911 Original Architect: William M. Dodd  Calgary City Hall located in southern Alberta, Canada was built by William M. Dodd. Construction on the Richardsonian Romanesque style building was competed in 1911. Calgary City Hall is made mostly of Paskapoo Sandstone which originates in the area. The building is designated a National Historic Site of Canada and is surveyed under the Alberta Historic Resources Act.  BCA helped compile information for the Heritage Building Record System, Canada’s archive. BCA conducted archival research, aided...

Fenway Park

Fenway Park Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1912Original Architect: James E. McLaughlin Opened in 1912, Fenway Park is the oldest major league baseball park in the United States and is designated as a National Landmark. Fenway Park was originally designed by James E. McLaughlin and is constructed of steel, brick and concrete and is comprised of several buildings making up the park, its most famous being the original 1912 Yawkey Building. As part of a comprehensive restoration, funded in part by Federal Historic Tax Credits, BCA has provided the Red Sox with services including...