Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Marble

Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building

Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: John Lyman Faxon  The Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building integrates three historic buildings into the new transportation center and city office complex. The Ferdinand Building, built in 1895 and designed by John Lyman Faxon, is a triangular, five story, Baroque Revival building, constructed of limestone, terra cotta, decorative multicolored brick, marble and granite. The Curtis Building, built in 1888, is a brick building with brownstone trim, while the Waterman Building, built in 1890,...

Union Station

Union Station Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1903-1908Original Architect: Daniel H. Burnham Washington Union Station in the District of Columbia was designed by the esteemed architectural firm of Daniel Burnham & Company and was constructed between 1903 and 1908. This monumental Beaux-Arts train station is the gateway to our nation’s capital and services more than 100,000 visitors a day. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Union Station Redevelopment Corporation (USRC), stewards of Union Station since 1983, selected BCA to lead the development...

Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Thomas Jefferson Memorial Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1941Original Architect: John Russell Pope, Daniel P. Higgins, Otto R. Eggers Designed by architect John Russell Pope and dedicated in 1941, the Thomas Jefferson Memorial is modeled after the Pantheon in Rome and features a classical marble portico, circular marble colonnade, and a marble dome roof. The Memorial’s location in the Tidal Basin makes it a prominent feature of the landscape of the National Mall and Washington, DC. The project at the Jefferson Memorial involved restoration of the portico and colonnade roofs, as well as...

The Woodlands

The Woodlands Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1770Original Architect: William Hamilton BCA was involved with two projects at the Woodlands, a cemetery located in West Philadelphia that dates to the mid-nineteenth century. The site retains two historic buildings, the Hamilton Mansion and stable, both of which date to the time the cemetery site was owned by gentlemen botanist William Hamilton. Built in two campaigns between 1770 and 1789, the mansion features rubble stone wall wings, a stucco central block, a two-story portico and a brick cryptoporticus in front of the mansion...

St. Patrick's Cathedral

St. Patrick's Cathedral Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1879Original Architect: James Renwick Jr. Designed by James Renwick, St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the preeminent Catholic church in New York. BCA has been the restoration consultant for St. Patrick’s Cathedral for a decade. The site includes four structures: the Cathedral, Lady Chapel, Rectory, and Parish House. BCA’s efforts on the project started 10 years ago in the pre-design phase. BCA identified immediate interventions for emergency stabilization and routine maintenance; followed by a comprehensive conditions survey, and...

Selwyn Theater

Selwyn Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1918Original Architect: George Keister American Airlines Theatre, originally named the Selwyn Theater, is located on 42nd Street in in Manhattan's Theater District, was designed by George Keister in the Italian Renaissance Style and constructed in 1918. The theater consisted of a six-story office tower facing 42nd Street and a theater auditorium behind the office tower facing 43rd Street. In 1999, the auditorium was rehabilitated and the office tower was replaced with a ten-story building with a contemporary glass façade, marquee, entrance,...

New Haven Superior Courthouse

New Haven Superior Courthouse Location: New Haven, Connecticut Year Built: 1909-1914 Original architects: Allen & Williams  The New Haven Superior Courthouse was built from 1909 t0 1914 and designed by Allen and Williams. This three-story, Beaux Arts style building is made mostly of Vermont Marble and is a classic example of the City Beautiful Movement with soaring ionic porticos and mahogany and brass finishes. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2003. BCA was the prime historic preservation consultant for the Historical Restoration Study of the Courthouse....

Victoria Theater

Victoria Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1917Original Architect: Thomas Lamb The Victoria Theater was designed by Thomas Lamb, with interior murals designed by Arthur Brounet. Located on 125th Street in Harlem, Upper Manhattan, the Theater opened in 1917 as a Vaudeville and Motion Picture house.  The project involves a complete renovation and adaptive reuse of the building and will preserve and foster Harlem’s cultural heritage through the retention and restoration of significant elements of the Theater. The complex will provide affordable and market rate housing, a new hotel,...

Massachusetts State House

Massachusetts State House Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1798 Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch  The Massachusetts State House was designed by Charles Bulfinch in 1787 and completed in 1798. The Annex, designed by Charles Brigham, was added in 1895, and the East and West Wings were designed by Sturgis, Chapman and Andrews and constructed from 1914 to 1917. BCA performed a comprehensive survey of the interior of the State House buildings and contributed the Historic Value Rankings portion of the 2007 Master Plan. BCA has since worked on several other projects at the State House,...

Eleven80

Eleven80 Location: Newark, New JerseyYear Built: 1930Original Architect: Frank Grad The Raymond Commerce Building was constructed in 1929 and is characterized by its Art-Deco geometric floral designs on embossed spandrel panels and decorative terra cotta. BCA was the restoration consultant for the conversion of this Art Deco office building into residential space. Restoration included materials conservation, cleaning and repointing, and recreation of missing features. BCA also served as Preservation Consultant for this project, which required Local, State, and Federal approvals, and created...

Connecticut State Capitol

Connecticut State Capitol Location: Hartford, Connecticut Year Built: 1871-1878 Original Architect: Richard Upjohn  The Connecticut State Capitol was designed by Richard Upjohn in the Eastlake style with French and Gothic Revival elements and constructed from 1871-78. Located in Hartford, it is the third capitol building for the State of Connecticut since the American Revolution. A National Historic Landmark designated by the National Park Service and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Connecticut State Capitol is constructed of marble quarried in East Canaan, Connecticut,...

Century Club

Century Club Location: New York, NYOriginal Architect: Stanford WhiteYear Built: 1889 The Century Association, located in Midtown Manhattan, was designed by Stanford White with the assistance of Joseph Wells and was built in 1891. The building serves as a clubhouse and meeting point for members of the Century Association, which includes New York’s most prominent families and several world-renowned artists. The building’s delicate façade is reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance consisting of a rusticated base, a central balcony, pilasters, and many other Italian-style flourishes. The Clubhouse...

Boston Public Library

Boston Public Library Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: Charles Follen McKim  The Boston Public Library, built in 1895, is a grand Classical Revival style structure located in the heart of Copley Square and is a local and National Landmark. Conceived as a “palace for the people,” it exemplifies Boston’s 19th century municipal pride as well as Charles Follen McKim’s genius for integrating architecture and art. A modern addition was added in 1971, designed by renowned architect Philip Johnson and has local Landmark designation. BCA prepared a Historic Structure...

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1934Original Architect: Arthur Brown, Jr. The Departmental Auditorium was constructed from 1932 to 1934 as the connecting wing between the new Interstate Commerce Commission and Department of Labor buildings. The complex of three buildings was San Francisco architect Arthur Brown, Jr.’s contribution to the government’s larger Federal Triangle development. In 1987, the Auditorium was renamed for Andrew W. Mellon, Treasury Secretary during the Federal Triangle project. Upon its completion, the Auditorium became the largest government-owned...

1307 Locust Street

1307 Locust Street Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Year Built: 1851  BCA was the Historic Preservation Tax Credit (HPTC) consultant for the adaptive reuse of a rowhouse at 1307 Locust Street in Philadelphia, PA. The house, constructed in 1851, had been used since 1906 by the New Century Guild (NCG), a women’s membership organization that provides support to women in the labor force. The NCG used the building as a headquarters and clubhouse in virtually the same manner for over 100 years with very few modifications. In 1993, the building was selected as a prime example of a site of importance...

Religious Liberty Statue

Religious Liberty Statue Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Installed: 1876Original Artist: Moses Ezekiel The Religious Liberty Statue conservation marks BCA’s first project, and the details of the treatment are noteworthy for the field of outdoor art conservation. S.A.T, Inc., and BCA (in consultation with Dr. George Wheeler) were commissioned by B’nai B’rith to move the statue to the National Museum of American Jewish History, near the Liberty Bell, and to conserve/restore it. The statue was originally installed in 1876, during America’s Industrial Revolution and the calcareous...

Smithsonian Castle

Smithsonian Castle Location: Washington, D.C. Original Architect: Cluss and Schulze Year Built: 1881 BCA’s materials conservations services at two Smithsonian Institution buildings, The Arts and Industries Building (AIB) and Smithsonian Institution Building (SIB), began in 2021 as part of the Institution’s major Revitalize Historic Core project. The Renaissance Revival style Arts and Industries Building, completed in 1881, was designed by Adolf Cluss and Paul Schulze. The Smithsonian Institution Building, also known as The Castle, is the home to Smithsonian’s administrative offices and information...

Second Bank of the U.S.

Second Bank of the U.S. Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: William Strickland Year Built: 1818-1824 The Second Bank of the United States was designed in 1818 by William Strickland and constructed between 1819 and 1824. The building represents the federal government’s second attempt to establish a national banking institution and signified Philadelphia’s importance as the financial center of the country. The National Park Service acquired this building in 1939 and it now serves as a gallery museum open to the public within the Independence National Historical Park. BCA...

Penn Museum

Penn Museum Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope & Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day & Brother Year Built: 1896 Constructed over seven distinct building campaigns between 1899 and 2004, the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is a contributing resource to the University of Pennsylvania Campus Historic District. BCA was involved with the renovation of the 1915 Harrison Wing and the 1924 Coxe Wing Galleries. The Harrison Wing consists of an upper masonry rotunda and a lower masonry auditorium, with the upper and lower...

Miller House & Garden

Miller House & Garden Location: Columbus, Indiana Original Architect: Eero SaarinenYear Built: 1957 The Miller House and Garden in Columbus, Indiana, is one of the country’s most highly regarded examples of mid-century Modernist residences. It was designed by Eero Saarinen, with interiors by Alexander Girard and landscape design by Daniel Urban Kiley. The Miller House and Garden was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2000. BCA is part of a multi-disciplinary team that is preparing a Conservation Master Plan of the Miller House and Garden with the goals to articulate an overarching...