Modeled on the Parthenon by architects Alexander Jackson Davis and Ithiel Town and completed in 1842, Federal Hall National Memorial was designed as the first purpose-built U.S. Customs House for the Port of New York and constructed on the site of an earlier building where George Washington took the oath of office as our first President. In 1862, the building became the United States Sub-Treasury until 1920 when the Federal Reserve Bank replaced the Sub-Treasury system. In the late 1930s, the building’s planned demolition was narrowly averted and in 1939 it was designated as Federal Hall National Memorial Historic Site. Designated a New York City Landmark in 1965 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. Today it serves as a museum and memorial administered by the National Park Service (NPS).
The project involves the complete rehabilitation of the building exterior. BCA was the historic preservation consultant for the exterior restoration design. BCA performed a stone-by-stone assessment of the Tuckahoe and West Farms marble facades and roof, conducted an extensive program of field cleaning tests, and created restoration construction documents.