The Filene’s Building was designed by Daniel Burnham in 1912 as the flagship store for William Filene and Sons’ regional retail empire. The brick and terra cotta building is known as a shining example of Beaux Arts architecture in Boston and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The building currently houses retail shops, office space and residential units.
BCA provided a building survey, treatment recommendations, and construction documents for the original plan of restoration in 2008. When the project was put on hold, BCA provided guidelines for the appropriate protection and stabilization of the historic building facade. For the final development, BCA provided additional historic research, revised construction documents, construction administration and integration with a modern office tower into a new residential, retail and office complex. BCA worked closely with the Boston Landmarks Commission during all phases of the project.
Awards: Paul E. Tsongas Award