Location: St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
Year Built: 1749
Fort Christiansvaern was built for the Danish West India and Guinea Company from 1738-1749. It is a brick and rubble masonry structure currently covered with stucco, located on the shoreline of Christiansted harbor, St. Croix, U. S. Virgin Islands. The fort remains largely an 18th century structure with significant alterations and additions occurring in the 19th century and numerous repair campaigns throughout its history.
BCA was retained to investigate the fort's finishes (paint, plaster, stucco) to help better understand the building's physical changes, as well as its appearance at different points in time. BCA investigated these materials on site and also analyzed them in the laboratory. The information documented by BCA will be integrated into a Historic Structure Report (HSR) for the fort.