Harvard Stadium's design was derived from the ancient Greek and Roman arenas, such as the Amphitheater at Verona, Italy and Athens Stadium in Greece. It was designed and engineered by Professor L.J. Johnson and J.R. Worchester, in consultation with C.F. McKim, of the architectural firm McKim, Mead and White. Built in 1903 and added on to in 1909, the Stadium is constructed with reinforced concrete. It was the first and largest reinforced concrete structure of its time and its building required continual innovation as construction progressed.
Harvard University retained BCA to assess the condition of the Stadium’s concrete, performing testing to develop suitable repairs for the conservation of the concrete. BCA prepared the construction documents and provides construction administration for continuing restoration repairs on a yearly basis. BCA also prepared an Historic Structures Report for the building, documenting its social and architectural history over time, and developed preservation priorities for its repair.