The Landmark Theatre, newly named the "Altria Theatre" and historically known as “The Mosque”, is located in the Monroe Park Historic District of Richmond, Virginia. It was designed by the firm of Marcellus Wright, Sr. and Charles M. Robinson Associates in the Moorish style and constructed in 1926. Originally built for the Shriners, it has been in use for cultural and civic events since its purchase by the City of Richmond in the 1940’s. The Landmark Theatre is a steel framed masonry building, primarily clad with an unusually textured extruded brick, colored in a varying range of tan, amber and rust. Highly decorative and brightly colored terracotta is a prominent feature of the building. Other building materials include limestone, granite, and ornamental copper.
BCA was the restoration consultant for this Historic Tax Credit restoration, providing a comprehensive exterior building survey, treatment recommendations, drawings and specifications and construction administration services.