The Mayflower Meetinghouse, historically known as the First Parish Church of Plymouth, is the fifth meetinghouse built as First Church, completed in 1899. First Church’s history can be traced to the Separatist congregation that sailed to Plymouth on the Mayflower in 1620. It is reported to be the oldest continuous church in New England. The notable Boston firm Hartwell, Richardson & Driver designed the new church in the Romanesque Revival style, which has features similar to that of the English Norman churches of the Pilgrims. In 2014, the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
BCA inspected the physical conditions of the historic interior and identified non-historic elements in the building and provided treatment recommendations. BCA also conducted testing and mockups of the cleaning and repair of the interior plaster, decorative paint, and wood, which will be part of a planned, comprehensive rehabilitation of the interior of the nave. In addition, BCA participated as part of the design team in the new programmatical use for the building and how it may impact the historic interior components.