The New Haven Superior Courthouse was built from 1909 t0 1914 and designed by Allen and Williams. This three-story, Beaux Arts style building is made mostly of Vermont Marble and is a classic example of the City Beautiful Movement with soaring ionic porticos and mahogany and brass finishes. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2003.
BCA was the prime historic preservation consultant for the Historical Restoration Study of the Courthouse. BCA performed archival research, finishes analysis, and documented all interior and exterior building materials and objects and compiled a comprehensive database linked to drawings and photographs. BCA also prepared the National Register nomination for the courthouse.
As a result of the BCA’s historical restoration study, funding was secured for the courthouse restoration project which was recently completed in 2016. Documentation created during the study were turned into Design Documents followed by Construction Documents. BCA provided construction administration services throughout the restoration.
Awards: 2017 Historic Preservation Award by CT Historic Preservation Trust