Old Ship Meeting House, built in 1681 is the last surviving New England meeting house of more than 200 built between 1629 and 1700. Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962, it is a timber-frame building with a wood-shingled roof and a wood clapboard exterior.
BCA produced an Historic Structure Report for the Old Ship Meeting House, including a prioritized treatment plan which guided the subsequent restoration. Work included roof replacement, structural repairs, exterior painting, electrical and mechanical upgrades, and an accessible restroom addition. The HSR included historic research, study of the existing historic building fabric, and analysis of the building’s structural framing, its exterior envelope, and its interior finishes. BCA has provided project management services, drawings and specifications, construction administration. BCA assisted in procuring Massachusetts Preservation Projects Funds and Save America’s Treasures grants, and provided guidance through the regulatory process with the Massachusetts Historical Commission.
Awards: Massachusetts Historical Commission Award