Prospect Park Boathouse
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Year Built: 1904
Original Architect: Helmle & Huberty
The Prospect Park Boathouse was designed by Helmle and Huberty and built from 1904-1907. Located on the Lullwater of the Lake in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, the boathouse is reminiscent of the original Pennsylvania Station as Helmle and Huberty were disciples of McKim, Meade, and White. Modeled on Sansovino's 16th-century Library at St. Mark's in Venice, the neoclassic Boathouse is listed as a historic site by the National Register of Historic Places and is a New York City Landmark.
The project involved a complete renovation of the building’s terra cotta façades. BCA was the historic preservation consultant, overseeing the exterior restoration design. BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of the terra cotta facades, performed field cleaning tests and laboratory testing, made treatment recommendations, prepared construction documents for the restoration scope, and monitored restoration of the terra cotta façade.