In 1897 Shearith Israel was commissioned on 70th Street and Central Park West to accommodate the growing New York Jewish community. Designed by Arnold Brunner, designer of several buildings around the northeast from hospitals to portions of the Pennsylvania State Capitol. He designed the synagogue in the neo-classical style, emphasizing the Congregation’s commitment to tradition. The historic stained-glass windows were designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, who also designed the interior.
BCA provided Construction Administration services for the synagogue, helping manage the protection of the building’s historic fabric during the building’s construction phase. BCA worked specifically to protect the intricate stained-glass windows by creating a specific plan to decrease the vibrational force of the demolition and construction.