The University of Pennsylvania Music Building, constructed in 1890, was designed by Cope & Stewardson and features brick, terra cotta, and sandstone. The building underwent a renovation project that included a comprehensive exterior restoration and a distinctively contemporary addition. Masonry restoration included cleaning, re-pointing, patching, and selective replacement of brick and terra cotta units.
As the primary restoration consultants for this project, BCA designed a testing program for the cleaning and repair work, wrote relevant specification sections and provided construction administration for all related masonry restoration work. Original paint colors were identified by BCA through paint analysis and returned to the building. BCA also facilitated the review of the exterior masonry restoration project by the Philadelphia Historical Commission. The Music Building was the first LEED Gold building on the Penn campus.
Awards: 2010 Preservation Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Award for Public and Institutional Buildings – Compatible New Addition, 2010 Preservation Alliance Preservation Achievement Grand Jury Award